After spending several years in corporate design, Grayson Fish decided to apply to The Graduate School’s Master of Applied Professional Studies (MAPS) program to pursue a career as a life coach. 

“After undergrad, I started to rethink my life’s purpose,” she explained. “What I wanted to do— when you decide what you want to do at a younger age—sometimes, it’s not exactly what you want to do.”  

Corporate restructuring motivated Fish, who holds an undergraduate degree from the Savannah College of Art and Design, to apply to be part of the inaugural MAPS cohort of graduate students. 

“Going from a corporate structure of 9-to-5, Monday through Friday, you become fixated on that safety net,” she said. “I’m starting to look for opportunities to see where I can apply with where I was with where I’m going.” 

During her time in the MAPS program, Fish plans to study courses in clinical rehabilitation and mental health counseling, in social work, and graduate-level courses in leadership.  

“I think [my areas of study are] going to be great to pair together, and it personally empowers you in a way to be able to make choices that work best for you.” 

As a graduate student, she’s able to transfer her skillset to a new industry and emerging passion. And as a student in the inaugural class, she’s part of defining what success can look like for future MAPS graduate students. 

“You can go any direction you want in life. It might take a little work, but it’s possible.” 

The deadline to apply for spring 2023 admission to the MAPS program is April 11, 2023.